Energy efficiency to deliver 1/3 emissions savings for NEPP, 7 Dec 2015
The Energy Efficiency Certificate Creators Association (EECCA) welcomes the release of the National Energy Productivity Plan (NEPP) on 4 December 2015 by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Energy Council to improve energy productivity by 40 percent. Energy efficiency is expected to deliver 33 per cent of the emissions savings needed to meet Australia’s 2030 emissions target. 1
EECCA President, Bruce Easton said: “EECCA supports the COAG Energy Council to achieve its National Energy Productivity Target to improve energy productivity by 40 per cent between now and 2030. We anticipate the target could be delivered sooner.
“Energy efficiency schemes are a critical contributor to emissions reduction, job creation, lowering customer bills, energy productivity and innovation. EECCA is well positioned to support the COAG Energy Council to deliver their NEPP commitments as detailed in the NEPP Work Plan. 2
“We call on all governments to urgently further invest in:
* harmoniously expanding existing energy efficiency schemes in Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Australian Capital Territory to include more activities;
* introducing new schemes in Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory; and
* expanding all scheme targets beyond current levels.
“EECCA members, both certificate creators and product suppliers, have invested significant intellectual and financial capital to grow energy efficiency schemes in Australia since the first established schemes commenced in 2009. We now have a well-established energy efficiency industry that has created thousands of new jobs. EECCA estimates that by 2020 the energy efficiency certificate creation market will be valued at around $350 million per annum,” Mr Easton said.
1 EECCA calculated 33 per cent based on:
* Australia’s 2030 Emission Reduction Target. DFAT, Australian Government. p5 – data table. https://www.dpmc.gov.au/sites/..., and
* National Energy Productivity Plan. COAG Energy Council. p13. https://scer.govspace.gov.au/w...
2 NEPP Work Plan. https://scer.govspace.gov.au/f...
Media please contact: Bruce Easton, EECCA President, 0417 568 918,
Ric Brazzale, EECCA Board Member, 0419 522 659